Downloading e-books: Adobe Digital Editions
Most e-book scan be read online on your browser but are also available to download in PDF or EPUB format, when you can read them offline. Most of the e-books available from EBSCO, Ebook Central and Ellibs are DRM protected, and you need a dedicated e-book reader software. Read more about Digital Rights Management (DRM).
Donwloadn instructions below apply to all DRM protected e-books. If necessary, see service specific instructions on international and Finnish e-books.
Adobe Digital Editions
Follow these steps to start using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE).
- Download the program or app:
- If you don't want to synchronize e-book sbetween your devices, authorize your computer without Adobe ID. But if you want to e.g. continue reading your e-book on another device, see part "Synchronize e-books: Adobe ID". With mobile apps Adobe ID is required.
Choose Help > Authorize computer, and from the pop-up window I want to authorize my computer without an ID:
- You can now download and read e-books on your device.
Downloading an e-book
- Download an e-book from an e-book service. See service-specific instructions if needed:
- International e-books
- Finnish e-books
- Your computer might not know which software to use to open the e-book file (.acsm) you downloaded. and you may have to search ADE from the apps on your computer.
- Choose Helper Application > Browse. Usually ADE is located in the Program Files (see image below).
- E-book is opened in ADE, and you can start reading.
Strictly speaking ACSM-files are links or tokens, that ADE uses to download e-books from Adobe's servers.
Synchronize e-books: Adobe ID
If you wish to read a DRM protected e-book on other deivces than just the one you used to download it, you need a personal Adobe ID. You can get it for free. Adobe ID is used to authorize your devices (laptop, iPad etc.) and synchronize e-books between them. You only need to authorize a device once.
- Create you Adobe ID.
- Authorize Adobe Digital Editions on your computer. Choose Help > Authorize computer:
- Log in with your Adobe ID:
- Now you can transfer e-books between the devices you have authorized in this manner:
Saavutettavuusseloste | Accessibility statement